Academics in colleges may be broadly be classified in to 3 broad categories.
2. Co – curricular
3. Extra – curricular activities
All the course of study offered by an educational institution as per the aa group of related course, in a special filed of study: will be referred to as curriculum.
Co curricular : Co curricular activities are an extension of the formal learning experiences of an academic program.
Definition of Co-curricular Activities
Co-curricular Activities are defined as the activities that enable to supplement and complement the curricular or main syllabi activities. These are the very important part and parcel of educational institutions to develop the students’ personality as well as to strengthen the classroom learning
Meaning of Co-curricular Activities
Co-curricular activities are the components of non-academic curriculum and helps to develop various facets of the personality development of the students.
Co-curricular activities facilitate in the development of various domains of mind and personality such as intellectual development, emotional development, social development, moral development and aesthetic development. Creativity, Enthusiasm, and Energetic, Positive thinking are some of the facets of personality development and the outcomes of Extracurricular activities.
Co-curricular activities facilitate in the development of various domains of mind and personality such as intellectual development, emotional development, social development, moral development and aesthetic development.
Importance and Benefits of Co-curricular Activities
1. Co-curricular activities stimulate, speaking, debating and narrating skills in students.
2. It enables the students to express themselves freely through debates.
3. Helps to develop the spirit of healthy competition.
4. These activities guide students how to organize and present an activity, how to develop skills, how to co-operate and co-ordinate in different situations-all these helps in leadership qualities.
5. It provides the avenues of socialization, self-identification and self-assessment when the child come in contact with organizers, fellow participants, teachers, people outside the school during cultural activity.
6. Inculcate the values to respects other’s view and feeling.
Co curricular activities provide unique opportunities for students to promote their mental physical & emotional development
- It encourages students to try for something new and take opportunities to discover new passions.
- It makes you perfect in decision making.
- It develop a sense of belongingness.
- CCA provide motivation for learning.
- CCA develop the values like physical, psychological, Ethical, academic, civic, social, aesthetic, cultural recreational and disciplinary values
Role of Co-curricular activities in student’s life
Co-curricular activities are the true and practical experiences received by students. To a greater extent, the theoretical knowledge gets strengthened when a relevant co-curricular activity is organized related to the content taught in the classroom. Intellectual aspects of personality are solely accomplished by Classroom, while aesthetic development, character building, spiritual growth, physical growth, moral values, creativity, etc. are supported by co-curricular activities. Frankness and clarity in language and personality is supported by these activities. It helps to develop co-ordination, adjustment, speech fluency, extempore expressions, etc. among student both at the school as well as college levels.
Activities conducted in our college campus