Extracurricular Activity may be defined as that activity which is not falling within the scope of a regular curriculum; specifically : of or relating to officially or semiofficially approved and usually organized student activities (such as athletics) connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit.
Extracurricular activities are also defined as those activities which are not the components of academic curriculum but an integral part of educational environment. Extracurricular activities comprises sports, singing, music, debate, dance, drama, social services, etc. Colleges can play a pivotal role by channelizing energy of both normal as well as physically challenged students into a fruitful direction of personality development through extra-curricular activities.
Extracurricular Activity Meaning
The main motto of extracurricular activities is personality development. These are the activities which promotes students to take up their study in a healthy manner. All-round development as well as intellectual development is not the domain of curriculum, these characteristics can be judiciously fulfilled by co-curricular activities. Extracurricular activities include bands, sports, student newspaper, literary, acting & drama, music, cultural activities.
Extracurricular or Extra Academic Activity (EAA) are those that fall outside the realm of the normal curriculum of school or university education, performed by students. Extracurricular activities exist for all students.
Extracurricular activities are generally voluntary and or not mandatory. Students and Staff direct these activities under faculty sponsorship.
If you are actively involved in something that you don't see here - meaning you spend a significant amount of time doing an activity that is allowing you to develop a talent or interest, be a leader, or help out your community - then you should definitely consider that an extracurricular activity, as well!
The main motto of extracurricular activities is personality development. These are the activities which promotes students to take up their study in a healthy manner. All-round development as well as intellectual development is not the domain of curriculum, these characteristics can be judiciously fulfilled by co-curricular activities. Extracurricular activities include , sports, literary, acting & drama, music, dance, mono action, mimicry cultural activities etc.
Now-a-days, colleges have been given much more importance to extracurricular activities so that the hidden potential of students could be harnessed. Extracurricular activities helps to develop creativity and artistic talents among students. Great educational thinkers had advocated the importance of extracurricular activities among students so as to develop social relationship and intellectual intelligence.
Extracurricular Activity Importance
There are following importance of extracurricular activities:
- The classroom teaching-learning environment get strengthens by extracurricular activities.
- No doubt, classroom teaching is utmost important, yet for aesthetic development, character enrichment, spiritual and physical growth, extracurricular activities are equally relevant.
- They teach the students practical skills like time management
- Extracurricular activities enable the students to express themselves freely. Inculcate the values of co-operation.
- It is a means of developing skills and competence. Different extracurricular activities have their own significance
- Sometimes, learning-teaching become monotonous; this can be changed into pleasant atmosphere by participating in extra-curricular activities.
- Extracurricular activities enable to groom the students for future leadership.
Extra Curricular Activities conducted in college